Upcoming Important Dates
August 5-9, 2019 – Band Camp at BWHS
General Band Camp Info
- The band camp fee is $60.00 per student and can be paid by check on the first day of camp (made payable to Big Walnut Music Boosters) OR by visiting http://www.bwhsvocalmusic.org and scrolling to click the “Donate” button at the bottom of the screen to pay via credit card (put student name in info please!). This pays for all meals and activities for the week. Even if students choose to pack a lunch or not attend the evening activities, we have had to order and pay for food for every student attending camp.
- Bring sunscreen and water! We do give ample water breaks when outside based upon weather. There is a bottle filling station inside the HS.
- We work with coaches so that students participating in athletics, etc. can attend some practices, tryouts and scrimmages. It is the goal of the coaches and band staff to make sure that students aren’t “caught in the middle”. Please communicate with Mr. Porter about any athletic or other activities so that arrangements can be made.
- The worst thing a student can do is a be a “no show” for a rehearsal as it creates lots of difficulties for the students that march around them. Please be proactive in communication via email at CraigPorter@bwls.net
- Band camp happens rain or shine and we adjust our indoor and outdoor times according to the weather. Even if it’s pouring rain…..we will have music rehearsal indoors!
Important Band Camp Info By Day
Monday, August 5th – 8 am until 5 pm at BWHS
Theme: Color Day (Seniors – Pink Juniors – Green Sophomores – Orange Freshmen – Black) Class with highest % participating will get a frozen treat on Tuesday at lunch!
Lunch: Fazoli’s (Pasta w/marinara, Pasta w/meat sauce, Pasta w/alfredo sauce, salad and breadsticks Students are welcome to pack a lunch if they desire.
Evening Activity: Pool Party at The Lakes (6740 Worthington Rd., Westerville) 8:00 pm until 9:45 pm. PLEASE HAVE A RIDE AT 9:45!!!
Tuesday, August 6th – 8 am until 5 pm at BWHS
Lunch: Subway Box Lunches. BMT and Ham subs, chips, cookies. Limited veggie and vegan subs will be available. We should also have salad left over from Monday. Students are welcome to pack a lunch if they desire.
Evening Activity: Bonfire at “The Brammers” (4925 Patrick Road, Sunbury) from 7:00 pm until 9:30 pm. Hotdogs/buns/condiments/plates/napkins provided. Each class brings items to share: (Seniors – Chips Juniors – Veggies/Fruit Sophomores – case of bottled water Freshmen – Desserts (cookies, brownies, etc). Seniors will share sentimental moments of their time in the BWHS band as they burn items.
Wednesday, August 7th – 8 am until 5 pm at BWHS
Theme: ’80’s Day!
Lunch: Cane’s chicken strips, fries, Cane’s sauce, Texas toast. We should also have salad left over from Monday. Students are welcome to pack a lunch if they desire.
Evening Activity: Rain Date for the bonfire scheduled for Tuesday. Over the years the bonfire has become something that each senior class really looks forward to. Inclement weather on Tuesday evening means we will reschedule to Wednesday to ensure we get this activity in!
Thursday, August 8th – 8 am until 5 pm at BWHS
Theme: Area 51
Lunch: Antonio’s Pizza (plain cheese and pepperoni). We should also have salad left over from Monday. Students are welcome to pack a lunch if they desire.
Evening Activity: Senior Night at BWHS (seniors only!). Seniors should arrive at BWHS no earlier than 11:00 pm but no later than 11:30 pm. For safety, once at BWHS all seniors will remain until dismissed by the band staff in the morning. Mr. Porter will be discussing senior night with members of that class throughout the week.
Friday, August 9th – 9 am until 1 pm at BWHS ****NOTE DIFFERENT TIMES
Theme – SPIRIT DAY! Wear your best BW apparel!
We have our group picture on Friday at noon in the BWHS Stadium in FULL UNIFORM. (Students will be fitted into uniforms throughout the week.) As soon as pictures conclude, students are dismissed for the day!
Lunch: No lunch is served on Friday.
Evening Activity: None…..Go home and sleep! You should be tired from the week!!!!!
2019 Summer and Fall Calendars Here!
Summer and Fall Dates are available here: Summer and Fall 2019 Calendar
Important Info Letter for all parents: New Band Member Info v2(2)
2019-20 BWHS Section Leaders
*Lead Section Leader
(roles for will be defined for those sections with more than one section leader)
Flutes – Catelyn Vanhoose*, Samantha Cox
Clarinets – Jasmine Lucas*, Autumn Kurtz
Alto Saxes – Jillian Salmon*, Kat Brammer
Low Reeds – Grace Weber*
Horns – Clint Johnson*
Trumpets – Grady Hemingway*, Brennen Meyer, Cody Carius
Trombones – Emily Kuederle*, David Lott
Baritones – Andre Brammer*
Tubas – Dylan Oglesbee*
Battery Percussion – Grace Salloum*
Front Ensemble – Logan Shinkle*, Jon Daniel
2019 Field Commanders
Congratulations to Kaylee Swank and Noah Fitch on being named the Field Commanders for the upcoming marching band season!
Chaperones Needed! New BWLS rules in effect!
We are in need of chaperones for our trips fthis fall!
Big Walnut Local Schools now require all chaperons/volunteers to have a background check and application on file with the school district. To do so, please visit http://www.bwls.net and click on Parents/Community to scroll to “Volunteer Opportunities”. Volunteers need to do this at least one week prior to the trip. All of our chaperones and equipment bus drivers need to do this ASAP!